Ranking Member Elijah E. Cummings
Congressman Elijah E. Cummings was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, where he currently resides. He obtained his Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from Howard University, serving as Student Government President and graduating Phi Beta Kappa, and then graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law.
Congressman Cummings has dedicated his life of service to uplifting and empowering the people he is sworn to represent. He began his career of public service in the Maryland House of Delegates, where he served for sixteen years and became the first African American in Maryland history to be named Speaker Pro Tem. First sworn in as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996, Congressman Cummings has proudly represented Maryland’s 7th District since 1996.
Congressman Cummings often says that our children are the living messages that we send to a future we will never see. In that vein, he is committed to ensuring that our next generation has access to quality healthcare and education, clean air and water, and a strong economy defined by fiscal responsibility.
Media Profiles of Ranking Member Cummings
- New York Times: Cummings Warms to the Task of Being Issa's Foil on Oversight Panel
- Baltimore Magazine: Up Hill Climb
- Buzzfeed: How Elijah Cummings Became Democrats’ Favorite Fighter
- Politico: Cummings, the homeowner crusader
- Politico: Elijah Cummings, Democrats’ Benghazi Warrior
- Washington Examiner – Elijah Cummings: The Democrats' first line of defense against Republican attacks
- Roll Call: For Cummings, a Higher Profile Means Getting Things Done